Veterans Resources and Support

Currently there are over 1.8 million veterans in California1. Many California veterans are attending college, utilizing their educational benefits, and earning their degree.  The Office of Student Assistance and Relief is committed to helping protect veterans’ and students’ rights.  If you are a veteran who is currently enrolled in college or interested in furthering your education, this page was created to help you navigate your options.

We thank you for your service and hope that the frequently asked questions below are helpful. If you have any questions or need any assistance, contact our team at or (888)370-7589, option 5.

Can I afford to attend college?

If you are planning to utilize your GI Bill Benefits, it is important that you attend a GI Bill approved institution.  Please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs School Search Tool to start your search today.

Affordability is a huge factor to consider before enrolling in a college. It is important to compare what your earning potential will be to the potential debt you will accrue upon graduating from your desired program. If you plan on borrowing student loans, please visit the Federal Student Aid Loan Repayment Calculator to determine whether you can afford the cost of your program after you graduate.

Will my military service transfer to college credits?

Veterans and servicemembers may be eligible for course credit at colleges based on knowledge gained through military service. Please visit the American Council on Education's search tool to obtain credit recommendations based on your service. The American Council on Education provides recommendations for MOS training, Army Advanced Individual Training, military jobs, and completed courses.

What do I need to show my school to receive college credits for my service?

You will need to request your transcripts from your branch of service. Each school will then determine how many credits they'll offer for your service experience, based on your transcripts. For Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, visit the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website.  Fill out an Official Transcript Request to share your transcripts with your school online.  For the Air Force, go to the Community College of the Air Force website and submit a request to have your transcripts mailed to your school.

How do I verify whether a college is accredited?

Accreditation is important because it ensures that the education provided by institutions of higher education exceeds acceptable levels of academic quality. Please visit the Department of Education Office of Postsecondary Institution Database to find out whether your college is accredited.

How should I compare the cost to attend the schools I’m considering?

The California Student Aid Commission has a Net Price Calculator you can use to estimate of actual cost to attend a California college.

Additional Resources